This weekend we did some damage to the LeSharo project. After 2 visits to various RV stores and of course Home Depot, we were able to get most of the parts needed to fix or replace things that are messed up on the coach.
We tore the galley apart completely, removing the stove, sink, faucet, and countertop. Everything was incredibly filthy, and with things taken apart, cleaning was a lot easier and more effective. The countertop cleaned up nicely, as did the sink (it’s surreal to put the sink in another sink and clean it), and the stove.
There is a 110v electrical outlet on the back of the galley which was “harvest gold” (a lot of the interior is that ghastly color, unfortunately). To remedy that, I had to put a junction box inside the cabinet and join the 2 cables that used to go to that outlet (one is incoming power, the other feeds the dual outlet outside next to the main door). I joined in a new run of Romex and ran it up to a new ultra-low profile plastic box and installed a Decora style Almond colored outlet & cover plate. It looks MUCH better.
We were able to find replacement lenses for the interior lights and so the old brittle & cracked lenses went in the trash. Karen took down all the mashed-up window blinds and the valence boxes containing them. She has some nice green/gray material which will make a nice fabric upgrade, so we’re planning to recover them all. Also, the wood trim pieces from the valences and the galley backsplash are all destined to be sanded down and re-stained/varnished. We’d really love to put in those nice day/night blinds, but as those are quite pricy, we’ll make do with some plastic blinds from Home Despot.
The roof ventilator was a mess. The plastic lid was completely missing, the fan motor frozen solid, and the fan had all of it’s blades broken. We decided just to replace it, and bought a new unit. Yesterday, we were only able to remove the old unit (not a fun job), but ran out of daylight. The thing wasn’t screwed down at all, it was just glued in place with silicon and roof sealant that had become like concrete with age. It took a lot of chiseling and grunting to get that thing out. Next up will be squaring up the rounded corners of the hole in the roof, cutting the new vent interior flashing down to the 1″ roof thickness we have, and installing the new vent.